Can somebody please tell me that August is still here? September, how are have you already arrived? Do you know that saying that time goes faster as you get older? Because you should definitely heed it. It’s true. To the nth degree.
Sweet summer is passing us by. The bright coloured flowers are being replaced with golden rod and baby’s breath. Fall colours are starting to burst out here and there. Don’t get me wrong, I love fall. It’s a great time. But as I’ve said time and again – I love me some summer more than the rest. That sun beating down on my skin, making me roast, it’s such a great feeling. Sun-kissed kids running around. That’s what it’s all about. I’m determined that pants will not be constraining these legs until Autumn is official. Dresses and shorts – bare legs – cold or not, until fall comes. (I may have a stubborn streak in there somewhere.)
Fall or not, this is zucchini season! Everyone around here who has a garden (not yours truly… we slacked off on that this year) has a BUNCH of zucchinis. We’ve been blessed with a few, so I’ve made zucchini bread, had curry with zucchini, I have zucchini lasagna on the menu this week, AND I made these muffins! I think these may well blow your mind if you like peanut butter. And breakfast. Or muffins for supper. Or zucchini. If you like any of these things, you’ll like these muffins.
We’re just going to go right ahead and assume that the zucchini in these muffins cancels out all the other things and makes them healthy. Okay? Deal.
Because a healthy streusel-topped, peanut butter stuffed muffin just does NOT exist. Let’s be real. Some mornings we don’t want healthy. We need sweet. (Or am I alone on that?) Pour me a big cup of coffee. Let me have that peanut butter and streusel, please! Perfect Saturday morning. Or any morning, for that matter!
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup margarine, softened
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 2 Tbsp peanut butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Put muffin liners in muffin tins.
- For the muffins, mix together margarine, and sugars until combined. Add vanilla, and eggs. Followed by sour cream.
- Stir in flour, baking powder, and salt, alternately with milk.
- Add in that zucchini, and stir until it's all combined.
- For the streusel, mix all ingredients together until you have a decent crumb.
- For the peanut butter filling, mix together. It'll be thick, but that's good!
- Add about a [slightly heaping] tablespoon of muffin batter to each muffin cup. Scoop a dollop of peanut butter mixture onto each base of batter. Top with another [slightly heaping] tablespoon of batter. It should look pretty full. That's okay.
- Top with streusel and throw them in the oven for between 20-25 minutes. They'll start to brown, and will be set in the middle.
- As soon as you take them out of the oven, drizzle with the melted peanut butter. Let set in their tins for 5 minutes or so, and place on a rack to cool.