I told you I’d be back with something a wake-me-up, comfort-style recipe!
Muffins. Best breakfast ever. I know, I know. They’re basically glorified cupcakes. But they’re so much more than cupcakes. First of all, there’s generally some sort of fruit in them. (Fruit=healthy breaky, right?) Second, you get to warm them up and slather them with butter. It’s not looked up well if you do that to a cupcake. Though I’m sure it’d be pretty dang tasty. Butter helps all things. Except acne. Never put butter on your face. Please.
Anyhow. We’re going to go citrus because it’s February and all things are citrus.
I go with the flow. Sometimes.
Then we’re going to throw in a bunch of poppy seeds, because: crunch. They just make things better.
Top it all off with a tangy orange glaze, and you have yourselves the best kind of good morning muffin. Definitely enjoy with a warm cup of something. It is winter, after all. (And who doesn’t need a hot coffee in the morn?)
This recipe is adapted from Girl vs Dough (great blog, look around while you’re there). She made grapefruit muffins, and she made them a bit healthier than I made mine. (I’m guilty of hardly ever using whole wheat flour – it makes such a healthy tasting final product. Generally whole wheat baked good that I make taste like dirt. Nobody likes to eat dirt, amiright? I eat whole wheat bread. That’s it guys. White flour in all the other things.)
I also didn’t use fresh juice. I didn’t have any. I’m never prepared. I only had one egg, so thank goodness I only needed one. Instead of fresh juice, we use a scoops of frozen orange juice concentrate. I learned this trick from a dear friend to whose house I was taking these muffins. I knew she’d appreciate the tang and unpreparedness of my baking. It’s super easy, and adds such a nice zing. She makes AMAZING scones using the same method. Have I mentioned she’s brilliant?
To the muffins! You can seriously throw them together in about ten minutes, make the glaze while baking, and enjoy. Totally doable for a fresh breakfast, or store them, airtight for 3-4 days and heat up for an on-the-run breaky.
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cups vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 2 heaping tsp frozen orange juice concentrate
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 3 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2-3 Tbsp frozen orange juice concentrate
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line or grease 14 muffin cups.
- Mix together sugar, vegetable oil, poppy seeds, and orange juice concentrate.
- Add vanilla and eggs. Stir well.
- Alternately add dry ingredients and milk.
- Fill muffin cups level to top.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until the middle of the muffins has set.
- Whisk melted butter, icing sugar, vanilla and orange juice concentrate until smooth. Add more icing sugar if too runny, or more orange juice (or milk) if too thick.
- You can definitely use a mixer or a wooden spoon to make these! Whatever you prefer.
Christmas lights are popping up all over the place, and I’m like, “Wait, what day is it?”
Seriously though, is it Monday? What month/year? I’m completely lost.
That super moon must have done something to my brain. It’s on pause. It must still be October, yes? I think I’m just in denial that time could possible move at such a speed. I still have long days every once in awhile, but most evenings, I wonder where the day went.
Back to that Christmas thing. It’s okay if I’m not anywhere near even starting, right? I’m still trying to get the Halloween decorations down, without the boys noticing. (Because they’ll just ask me to leave them up.) Oh, to have an extra day every week to finish up my lists.
Lists upon lists. Upon lists. There’s actually a pile of them on my desk. A pile of lists. Some with the same things repeated over and over again, and still they are undone. This list though, it’s an easy one. I get to share things that I think are cool/interesting with you. All that it requires is to be posted. I can easily do that. It’s things like, “make flash cards”, and “pay bills”. Those things seem to get forgotten. Hopefully remembered before due dates though, right?
Here’s your list for the week! Thanks for reading my ramble.
- I think these sweatpants look pretty comfy for snow days. Don’t you? Paired with slippers (at home), or Converse (going out). So good.
- I made these Cinnamon Sugar Buns on the weekend. They were pretty good. Except when there was smoke billowing out of my oven. They were slightly on the “well done” side.
- We also had this Cream White Chicken Chili (or… my version of it – I just can’t follow a recipe!) for supper last week – I thought it was pretty dang awesome.
- I highly recommend making this Milky Salted Caramel. Warm milk + caramel + whipped cream = WOW. So good. Warm drink for an after supper, or after-the-kids-are-finally-in-bed treat? Now I’ve got to make it again.
- These Sorel winter boots! I love them!
- A friend shared this amazing turtleneck sweater thing with me. It’s SO cute. (And it comes in yellow! Other colours too, of course…)
- I want to make more soap, and I like trying new kinds. Yogurt and avocado? Cafe Latte? Which one, which one?
I hope you guys have a great week/weekend! I’m going to attempt to start my Christmas shopping on Saturday. With zero list, because, well, I just don’t have one! Wish me luck!
*I have such a love for farms and fields. They’re just so pretty!
Shared on Honest Mum
I don’t know about you, but I don’t give those groundhogs very much faith. I don’t remember having an ‘early’ spring…. ever. I keep seeing a post on Facebook, it’s a picture of a groundhog holding a sign that says, “I’m a rodent, not a meteorologist”. I agree with him.
So you know what’s crazy? That we’re now in our second month of 2012 already! I cannot believe how fast time flies. Especially when you have kids. People tell you it flies by, but you don’t really realize quite how fast until it happens.
Anyhow, it’s February 2012, it’s winter, and it’s cold outside. There’s not a whole lot to do some days, especially in the Maritimes. There are a lot of cold, dreary, rainy days when you can’t even really go outside, let alone go skating, sledding, etc. Tonight however… Skating it is! We’ve finally had enough executive cold days that the ice has frozen! And we’re taking the bull by its horns and going skating. I’m soo excited! I haven’t skated in 2 years, as I was pregnant last year and didn’t feel it was quite the safest thing to do. And, today was a lovely sunny day, so I enjoyed a nice brisk walk all by myself! It makes such a difference being alone (for me anyways). I so enjoy that time to 1) pray, 2) listen to music and 3) think without distraction. It was absolutely wonderful.
The only problem with that walk however, was that I was chilled to the bone when I got home. BUT I now have a solution! If you’re trying to watch your calorie intake a bit, or are just tired of hot chocolate (I do not understand how that could EVER happen, hot chocolate is the best thing ever!), or just need something new, I have something for you to try. And it’s as easy as 1, 2, 3! I got the idea from Charissa at ColourfulPalate, and slightly adapted it to my own pantry and taste. Here she be:
Hot Sweet Milk
As I said, it’s as easy as 1, 2, 3:
1) Fill up a mug with milk and put in the microwave until warm
2) Stir in some honey (to your taste).
3) Add 1/2 tsp of pure vanilla extract (more if it’s artificial extract) or to taste, and ENJOY!
It’s sooo yummy. Especially right before bed. There’s just something about warm milk that soothes and makes sleep come just so easy. And it’s such an easy thing to make, and different from chocolate. You can use any kind of milk you want too.
Just saying, but Valentine’s Day is approaching quickly. What better thing to make for your sweetheart than breakfast in bed, including of course, some nice, warm Hot Sweet Milk. If they’re fans of blueberries, this blueberry cake recipe is a great breakfast item too!
Oh yah! And I got my hair cut a few weeks ago too! Here’s a picture of me and my boy after last week’s snow storm. Do you like my hair short??
I’ll do another post soon! Promise… (don’t hold me to that, but I’ll try!)
What are you planning for Valentine’s Day? Any traditions?