Week 10 – Wut! Wut! 10 consistent weeks. That calls for a party or something, right?
I hope all you Canadians had a fantastic weekend, with lots of friends, family, and food! We sure did. I love the influx of people meandering through our house, and the ample quantities of caffeine consumed. Tea and/or coffee with every visit. Not to mention the excuse to get together with family members that we just don’t see often enough, even though we live withing easy driving distance. It’s so great to spend some time with people.
I guess I could do a little jig about what I”m thankful for, huh?
Starting off, I’m thankful for my Saviour, and the sanity & peace He grants me each day. My wonderful hubby, and the smile he [almost] always puts on my face. We’ve been best friends for so long, I’m still amazed that we got married 6 + years ago. It’s pretty cool. And then we had three crazy kids together! And I’m so thankful for each of them, though they drive me to the brink of insanity every day. 😉 I’m thankful for all of our extended family, for putting up with us, and always being there. For our house, where we can have lovely people over, and make memories together. I’m thankful for fall, and the beautiful colours we have here. It’s so gorgeous right now, and my kids are oohhing and ahhing every time we go for a walk. I love that they appreciate it too. I’m thankful for good food. And lists. They keep my scattered brain on track.
I’m sure I’m thankful for much more, but I’m sure y’all have heard a lot of that this past week, so I’ll spare you past the lists… Ha.
On that note – your weekly list! I’ve been on a pinning spree in the sewing department (let’s see if I ever actually get anything sewn), so you’ll see some of that, some foooood, and some other random stuff!
- I made this cake for Thanksgiving dinner at my parents house. I thought I may have killed about 10 of my sibling/cousins, due to all the groaning going on in the living room. It was over-the-top amazing. Super rich, and filling, but oh! So worth it.
- I get emails from Style Sweet CA (she’s amazing!!), and she compiled a bunch of her apple recipes in an email. They all look so great I thought I’d share. Her Honey-Apple Layer Cake, Apple Blackberry Pie, Salted Caramel Pie, Apple Toffee Crunch Cake, Cinnamon Caramel Apple Cake with Goat Cheese Frosting (<–WOW!), and Easy Cinnamon Apple Galette. She writes for so many huge websites!
- I thought I’d throw in one of my own apple recipes. It’s from the old blog and not quite reformatted yet, but these Apple Jelly Tea Rolls are SO good. I’ve gotta make them again!
- I hate shower curtains. They cling to you, they’re just super annoying and kind of gross. But I’d consider getting this one. (Not to mention how beautiful the bathroom is that it’s styled it!)
- In university, I had a prof in a Cooking 101 class that was VERY adamant about NOT putting your knives in the dishwasher. She was so passionate about it that I listened to her. (And I REALLY don’t enjoy doing dishes.) I still try not to put knives in the dishwasher. This is why you shouldn’t.
- I thought this article was pretty interesting. He had a stroke at 26. Take time to slow down. You are special to people around you.
- Re-purposing things for you kids, some really great ideas!
- I’ve been really wanting to sew something for Briar, and I’m not good at following direction, so I just pin ideas of things that I may be able to do without instruction. This dress, and these dresses. So adorable.
Have a great end-0f-your-week!
**Me holding that amazing cake mentioned in #1. It was so yummy. Forgive the tired eyes. A migraine was in progress in this picture…
Coming soon: A Month in Pictures – September installment.
Hey hey! This month is flying by! It’s insane! Tomorrow commences fall (I’ve got leggings in mind, unless it’s too warm). Cael has been counting down to fall. He says that he’s SO excited. Too funny. Every time he sees a coloured leaf, he points and shouts. (Is he really my son? What about summer?!) I’m a lover of fall. Really and truly. I’m excited for hot chocolate-filled evenings, cozy sweaters, and new socks. (I really need to buy new socks, somebody remind me, eh?) But I am also super sad to say goodbye to such a great, summer. Fun with the kiddos outside, shorts, sandals, sunshine for DAYYSS, beach days, you get my drift.
Anyhow, I digress.
Week #2 of homeschool is going fairly more smooth, thus far, than week #1. Thankfully. I was talking to another homeschooling mom this weekend, and she said she had a second ‘first’ day of school last week, because the actual first day was so crazy. It’s so nice to have other real moms around who are honest with you. Any other homeschool mom’s out there, how do you schedule the school part into your day? I’d love to hear how you work it out, especially with other littles, making meals, getting outside time, and cleaning time in. Fill me in!
On to the lists! Moving into more fall-styled fashion, soup (I love me some good soup!), and other odds and sods. Enjoy!
- I made this soup this week! It was A-MAZING. Think burrito, soup-style.
- Also made these scones, but with my blueberry lavender curd, instead of the lemon curd.
- This sweater – so great! It comes in an olive shade too.
- How about this dress, with these shoes? (I love a pop of random colour!)
- For you crafty ones, this is the sweetest baby quilt! I might try my hand at it (if I ever find time and motivation – both are so elusive…)
- I’m in the market for a new wallet. Mine is completely dilapidated. This, this, and this look like pretty decent options.
- I love Madison’s honesty in this post. It’s right where I’m at most days. She’s got some great recommendations at the bottom.
**Cael’s first day of school
**Blueberry scones! So yummy. Recipe inked in #2.
Linked up on Lil Luna.
I’m going to just take a moment to bask in my sense of accomplished consistency. Another post! Hooray!
Another week of lists. I was talking to a few other moms today, both list-makers, and non list-makers. One was like me – an ongoing list for groceries, a daily list of things I need to make sure I don’t forget to do, and a list (okay, five lists) of things that should (but probably won’t) get done in the near future. I cross things off as I go, and combine lists to make the pile of paper on my desk smaller. But there’s always something to do. Blogging is on my list too! And I’m happy to say I’ll be able to cross that off of one of the lists for today.
Anyhow! Here’s a curated list of things that I think are pretty great.
- Bespoke Post. A cool little boutique-style online shop, with amazingly curated stuff. They send out monthly boxes too. This box, and this box look pretty great!
- Simple summer salad recipe here. If you want another, check out my chickpea salad too!
- Snazz up your pantry with these free printables. Super cool, and you’ll be all organized and stuff! (What is this word, “organized”?)
- I’m in love with Anthropologie‘s quilts. They’re gorgeous. If I ever bought one, I’d probably be hesitant to actually sleep under it. This one‘s pretty gorg, as is this one.
- I’m hoping to try these butterscotch pudding popsicles out soon. They look so creamy and good!
- Need a new door mat after a crazy, dirty summer? This one is super cool!
- I love to wake up before the kids get up. The alone time, well, it’s wonderful. I try to get a quiet time in, and get some reading/blogging/emails in, but then I tend to get trapped in this terrible/lovely thing called the internet. It’s a black hole, I’m telling you. Laura Wifler just wrote a great article about how to have “Intentional Mornings“. While you’re there, check out her other super encouraging articles. She’s a great encouragement!
I hope you all have an amazing week! Tune in for a recipe [hopefully] later on this week. I tried to photograph one today, only to realize I left my camera elsewhere… Oh well.
**Briar “helping” me hang the laundry.
Another week, another post! Yay for some consistency (finally)!
I love lists.
On the old blog (Forever Faith and Food), I had a series called, “Things“, where I just shared a few things that I’d found along the way. This is going to be super similar. I’ll link you up to some pretty sweet things (at least, I think they’re sweet).
We’re talking recipes, clothes, interesting articles, maybe even some songs! Whatever I’ve had the chance to see, love, and probably pin! (Who are we kidding here, I definitely pinned
most all of them.)
So here goes. The first list!
- Hammer and Chisel. Over the last few years, I’ve been followed Amber Kuiper on her blog, “Mommy’s Me Time“. Awhile ago, she became a Beachbody coach, and she really seemed to love it. So when I friend close to here also became a coach, we decided to bite the bullet and try a workout. As it was the middle of winter, we really weren’t getting much exercise. We decided on Hammer and Chisel, because it’s a pretty intense workout, and it’s something both of us can do. Lots of strength exercises, and toning. We loved it! We’re planning on doing another round come fall. I’d definitely recommend it! If you’re local – send me a message and I’ll set you up with an amazing coach!
- Does anyone else out there LOVE Starbucks’ oat bars? Because they’re amazing. I’ve yet to find a good copycat recipe. This one looks pretty legit. Imma try it out!
- Speaking of food… (What else is there to talk about anyway?!) … I made this AMAZING flourlesss chocolate peanut butter WOW cake for a friends birthday last month. It was amazing. Zero calories too. 😉
- I love me a small clutch. This one looks pretty great. Small, and colourful. Cross body. It has got it all!
- Another blog I love, is Espresso and Cream. She writes great, encouraging pieces, that I can almost always relate to. A Christ-follower, fellow-blogger, and mom. “Don’t Miss the Point” talks about being IN this world, but not being OF it. Read on.
Hope you all have a great weekend! I have a wonderful recipe up my sleeve that I’ll hopefully share in the next week! And some other odds and sods floating around in my brain too!
***Jude playing in our little kiddie pool. Sunshine days are the best kind of days.
Things again. Things it is. And another month has passed. Wow.
Super hot days, and getting freezing nights going on here. Pretty crazy how things can change from day to night.
And 10 weeks of pregnancy left! Countdown is ON!
We’ve really been having a great summer. I’m not really looking forward to its end, but I suppose ‘all good things shall come to an end’, as they say. Fall is great too. Really. Here are some pictures of what’s been going down with us:
- Adam Bede, by George Eliot. I’ve yet to finish the book, but if you like classics, and love words – grab this book. It took me awhile to get into it, but now I’m stuck. It’s pretty dang good.
- Modcloth.com. Seriously. Get into it. Cute and quirky clothes, shoes, accessories, and house stuffs! Downside=Duty taxes when shipping to Canada. But if you can make it past those taxes, you are home free! So much cool stuff.
- The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. Great movie. Hubby and I rented it, not knowing if we’d enjoy it or not. Conclusion: We both LOVED it. It was really great! Hard to explain without giving away the plot, so just watch it. It’s a really well done movie.
- These super easy-looking diy slippers! What a great gift idea!
- The World’s Best Chocolate Oatmeal Cake. Can you say ‘divine’? Because that’s how to describe this. It’s super moist, yummy cake, with an oh-so-fudge-y frosting. I’ve made two in the last three weeks… And it’s been raved about.
Things. Things seem to take up my time. And summer just seems to go by much too quickly. Crazy. Cael will be THREE next week. Which means we are already nearing the end of July. Somehow. It just started… didn’t it? I know you don’t need me reminding you, but – WOW. It’s just flying by. Can I also say that I only have 16 weeks of pregnancy left?! Wow. Number three is flying along.
Which leads me to…. A belly picture!
And some boy pictures!
Now to the THINGS!
- This cute end table. It’s small, cute, and has a basket! (Not to mention, it’s also on sale!)
- Little boy snuggles. After my boys wake up, they generally need a bit of quiet time to get used to being awake again. I keep realizing how big they’re getting, and how quickly. So I’m absorbing as much snuggle time as I can get.
- Mommy’s Me Time blog. Amber is mama to a 2 1/2 year old, 1 1/2 year twins and is pregnant again! And she is the sweetest lady. Always encouraging words, pointing to God, giving reminders… I could go on forever. If you are a young mom, check her out!
- Fresh-picked STRAWBERRIES! They have got to be one of my favourite things about summer. So sweet, juicy, and lovely. And oh, the things to make with them! Jam, shortcake, smoothies. Yum.
- This lovely maxi dress. I’ve gotta get me one, or similar. Super flattering, great colours, and sooo good for summer.
So many lovely things. Check ’em out.