Gingerbread Date Muffins
Another post! What!
Now that I’m finally getting back into the swing of things, I’m remembering how fast 2+ months are going to fly by, and then I’ll be completely and utterly OUT of the swing of things again. Please forgive me in advance. Maybe I’ll find juggling 3 kids and a newborn super easy? (I can dream, eh?) I’m pretty sure I’ll be pretty swamped in the first few… six… months or so.
All you moms out there – I’m so excited to get my body back to normal! I don’t mind feeling pregnant, but I’m glad it isn’t forever. Come back to me regular clothes. Pants with buttons and zippers. Shirts that my belly stick out of now.
This belly. It’s going to burst. It’s pretty amazing what our bodies are capable of. Talk about stretchy skin! Well, I don’t think mine has a whole lot of stretch left, but I’m glad it was stretchy at some point.
Anyhow, enough baby talk. We need food. I’m so happy food is a necessity to living. Yay, food!
Coffee is too, right?
We’ve somehow made it to yet another weekend. What could be better than that? Except maybe, if someone made these muffins for you, fresh for brunch one of those mornings?
I have had these as a brain-child for some time, but (as I’ve said before) I had lost my mojo for awhile there. They finally came to fruition! And I loved them. So did the kids. Think classic gingerbread giving birth to muffin babies with sweet dates studded throughout. I love gingerbread. Basically, anything spiced, especially when there’s molasses involved. Think Molasses Cookies. And dates! Wow. They are nature’s candy. So, so good. I have to hide the [huge] bag that I get at Costco from myself (<–out of sight, out of mind), because I eat them like candy. And yes, they’re fruit, but that sugar content is a bit high, I believe. If you ever are in need of a great date recipe, make these Oatmeal Date Cookies. They be so amazingly amazing.
So! To the muffins. Make them for breakfast. Eat them warm out of the oven. If there are some leftover for day 2, pop them in the microwave to make those dates oh-so-mushy before you slather them with butter. Believe me, I did it, and it’s highly recommendable.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch cloves
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup dates, chopped (optional)
- sugar for topping
- Preheat oven to 375F. Prepare muffin tins (grease, or use muffin cups).
- Cream together butter and sugar. Add molasses and egg. Beat well.
- Mix in sour cream, and milk.
- Add dry ingredients. Mix well. Stir in the dates if you're using (I'd highly recommend!).
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 full. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 17-20 minutes, or until the middles are set.
- Enjoy warm, slathered with butter!
- They will keep fresh in an airtight container for 3-4 days. You can also pop them in the freezer to save for later days (like when you might be having a baby and will want a yummy, quick breakfast).
Linked up on Sugar, Spice, and Family Life