Buttercream Icing and a Cake
Add another, layer, smoother on the frosting, and smooth it out. Voila! Next step accomplished!
Finally, the moment you’ve all been waiting for – here’s the finished product!
Want a close up of those roses? Not near as good as my teacher (my grandmother), but still pretty snazzy I think!
I made a white cake (family recipe) and just regular icing.
1 1-kg bag of icing sugar
1 1-lb block of shortening
1 tsp almond extract
2 tbsp milk or water
Just beat all of these ingredients together. If it’s too thick, add more liquid. If it’s too runny, add more icing sugar. Easy as pie (or cake… haha)! This is a great recipe for decorating with. Just add food colour to change it to whatever colour your heart desires (or your cake is in need of).
Do you ever get sick of cake? Personally – no. Well, depends on what kind of cake I suppose. I’m personally not a fan of carrot cake, I think I’d literally get sick if I took a bite of one of those. But any other type of cake (pretty well), I don’t even think it’s possible to get sick of it. It’s a staple. Didn’t you know that Canada’s Food Guide has an extra category for ‘Daily Cake Intake’? (Not really, but I wish it were so!)
I LOVE to decorate cakes. I don’t do it often enough (therefore don’t get enough practice), and have a tendency to go too fast, but they seem to turn out alright. I’d love to do it more often though. Anybody need a cake? Contact me. Those in the local area anyways. I have done a few different cakes. I’ll share some pictures of past cakes/cupcakes soon!
So, my grandmother had asked me to make a cake for a combined birthday supper for my mother and her sister. She said I ‘made them look better’. When I arrived with the cake, she even told me it looked professional! Wowzers. My self-confidence blew right up at that one. 😉
There’s a story behind this. My grandmother has decorated cakes for a long time as a side-income. She was amazing at it. She made my birthday cakes for me from the time I was 1, until I was 17. Always sooo yummy, and always looked too good to eat. She’s since had a few medical problems, so she doesn’t do it anymore, but I’ve inherited a lot of her tools and her love for doing it. Food really should be an art, and this is one way to express that.
Meet my Nannie. She’s the best.
Random, yes. But have you ever tried a dragon fruit? They’re pretty good. Kind of like a mild kiwi. Not to mention, they look gorgeous. I just couldn’t let this photo opportunity pass.
This week is my hubby’s birthday. I’m not entirely sure what’s going to happen for his birthday yet. I’ve got planning to do. But I’ll let you know once I figure it out…
Just a question… Do you need something sweet after a meal? Always seem to? I do.
- Cake=Gateau « foreverfaithandfood - [...] a few weeks ago, I posted a few cake posts. Check out my KitKat birthday cake, and my rose…
- Rolling in the Dough « foreverfaithandfood - [...] to these FAMOUS Cinnamon Rolls. They are sooo good. I’ve mentioned my grandmother in a few of my previous posts.…
- Spring Cupcakes « foreverfaithandfood - [...] see, I tried a new icing recipe. I’m constantly using our ‘Buttercream’ Icing recipe. I use that about 90%…
- Date Oatmeal-Goodness Cookie Sandwiches « foreverfaithandfood - [...] averse to dates, or so it seems. So I did them a favour, and filled half of my sandwiches…
- Wedding baking « foreverfaithandfood - [...] with chocolate, seafoam, and coral buttercream. Except in this buttercream, I used half shortening, half [...]
- Fondant and a Wedding Cake | foreverfaithandfood - [...] I made a peanut butter cream filling for in between layers. Coated it with buttercream, and then layered the…
- Tanner's Chocolate Cake - Whisks and Wooden Spoons - […] Ever get sick of cake? - Whisks and Wooden Spoons - […] « Let Them Eat Cake! Peanut Butter…