Chocolate Peanut Butter Crunch Torte
If you read the last post (For the Love of Lists – Week 3), you’ll know that I admitted to having a few food-related weaknesses. One of them (probably the biggest one), is peanut butter. Mix that with chocolate, and OH Bessy! You’ve got me caught. You see, the problem for me, with making a dessert like this, is that I want to eat it all. And some of you will say, ‘Then eat it!’. I say – that’s probably not the best thing to do. Overeating=getting sick of certain flavours. And I never want to be sick of peanut butter. It is just so dang good! (
Not to mention the calories. I mean, this is calorie-free!)
Anyhow, this recipe comes from the Baker Chick, who found the recipe on Annie’s Eats. It’s been tweaked along the way, but for the most part, it’s pretty similar to the original (so check it out, if you’d like!).
We are talking chocolate crust, and a fluffy, rich-but-not-too-rich filling, some crunch, topped with ganache. We are only using 1.5 blocks of cream cheese, which I think is great! Mostly because those cheesecake recipes with 8+ blocks of cream cheese cost an arm and a leg to make. (I might be exaggerating with the 8+ blocks, but even 4 can get kind of costly!)
Also, we’re making it in a spring-form pan, which means it is super thick and absolutely wonderful. We have GOT to do this more often!
We had some friends visiting from away over to enjoy this with us, and I’m pretty sure it’s a winner. Not to mention that the company was spot on. If these people want to move closer to home, I’d take that. 😉
So! Down to the baking. You’ll notice in the notes that I did something a little different with the crust (that I think makes it amazingly awesome-er). But you don’t have to do it this way! I’ll include the other way too.
- 3/4 cups chocolate cookie crumbs
- 1 3/4 cup graham crumbs (or just chocolate crumbs - see note)
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup toffee bits or 2 crushed Skor bars
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 12 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- 11/2 cups peanut butter (crunchy or creamy-your preference)
- 11/4 cups icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate
- Sprinkling of toffee bits/crushed Skor bar
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix together crust ingredients, and press into a greased 10-inch springform pan. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Let cool. It must be completely cool when you fill it.
- Whisk whipping cream, until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In another bowl, cream that cream cheese until it's nice and smooth. Add peanut butter, icing sugar, and vanilla.
- Fold in whipped cream and toffee bits, until well combined. Be gentle with that whipped cream. Don't crush it.
- Pour into crust, cover, and freeze for about 10 minutes, to set the filing. Then you can either keep freezing it (more of an ice cream cake), or pop it in the fridge (more of a mousse torte) for a few hours.
- Add chocolate and cream to a microwave-safe dish (or measuring cup), and place in the microwave for 1 minute. Stir, and keep microwaving at 20 second intervals until the chocolate stirs into the cream smoothly. (You could also do this on the stove.)
- Pour topping onto your mousse, add the toffee bits, and pop in the fridge/freezer for a few more minutes.
- Serve, eat, and be wowed.
- You can just use chocolate crumbs with butter and salt for the crust, if you prefer. I found the mixture of both, plus cocoa and sugar, made it richer, and more chocolatey.