I told you I’d be back with something a wake-me-up, comfort-style recipe!
Muffins. Best breakfast ever. I know, I know. They’re basically glorified cupcakes. But they’re so much more than cupcakes. First of all, there’s generally some sort of fruit in them. (Fruit=healthy breaky, right?) Second, you get to warm them up and slather them with butter. It’s not looked up well if you do that to a cupcake. Though I’m sure it’d be pretty dang tasty. Butter helps all things. Except acne. Never put butter on your face. Please.
Anyhow. We’re going to go citrus because it’s February and all things are citrus.
I go with the flow. Sometimes.
Then we’re going to throw in a bunch of poppy seeds, because: crunch. They just make things better.
Top it all off with a tangy orange glaze, and you have yourselves the best kind of good morning muffin. Definitely enjoy with a warm cup of something. It is winter, after all. (And who doesn’t need a hot coffee in the morn?)
This recipe is adapted from Girl vs Dough (great blog, look around while you’re there). She made grapefruit muffins, and she made them a bit healthier than I made mine. (I’m guilty of hardly ever using whole wheat flour – it makes such a healthy tasting final product. Generally whole wheat baked good that I make taste like dirt. Nobody likes to eat dirt, amiright? I eat whole wheat bread. That’s it guys. White flour in all the other things.)
I also didn’t use fresh juice. I didn’t have any. I’m never prepared. I only had one egg, so thank goodness I only needed one. Instead of fresh juice, we use a scoops of frozen orange juice concentrate. I learned this trick from a dear friend to whose house I was taking these muffins. I knew she’d appreciate the tang and unpreparedness of my baking. It’s super easy, and adds such a nice zing. She makes AMAZING scones using the same method. Have I mentioned she’s brilliant?
To the muffins! You can seriously throw them together in about ten minutes, make the glaze while baking, and enjoy. Totally doable for a fresh breakfast, or store them, airtight for 3-4 days and heat up for an on-the-run breaky.
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cups vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 2 heaping tsp frozen orange juice concentrate
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 3 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2-3 Tbsp frozen orange juice concentrate
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line or grease 14 muffin cups.
- Mix together sugar, vegetable oil, poppy seeds, and orange juice concentrate.
- Add vanilla and eggs. Stir well.
- Alternately add dry ingredients and milk.
- Fill muffin cups level to top.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until the middle of the muffins has set.
- Whisk melted butter, icing sugar, vanilla and orange juice concentrate until smooth. Add more icing sugar if too runny, or more orange juice (or milk) if too thick.
- You can definitely use a mixer or a wooden spoon to make these! Whatever you prefer.